Select Page

Public Works Frequently Asked Questions

Who should I contact if I observe a problem with a railroad crossing?

Metrolink is responsible for the maintenance of our railroad crossings. You may contact them directly at (888) 446-9721. However, requests for new signs, pavement markings, or railroad crossing signals should be directed to the City's Engineering Division at (909) 394-6240 Monday through Thursday from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm and Friday 8 am to 5 pm.

How do I report a Public Works issue after hours?

Contact the Sheriff's Department at (909) 450-2700. The Sheriff's Department will contact the on-call staff member.

How much material can I take to a household hazardous waste pick-up?

There is a limit of 15 gallons or 125 lbs of materials per load. If you have additional questions regarding Household Hazardous Waste collection events or other environmental questions, please call Project Pollution Prevention at 1(888) CLEAN LA. For more information, you may also call (909) 394-6240.

Where can I find the nearest dump station for an RV?

Please follow the link below to see the most current list of such facilities or call (909) 394-6240. RV sewage disposal facility locations

How can I protect my home from flooding during a rainstorm?

The City's extensive stormwater drainage system consists of inlets or catch basins, underground pipelines, drainage swales and open channels. Residents are urged not to dispose of leaves or grass clippings into open drainage systems or to place debris or storage in a location that would impede the flow of water into these systems. Such action may result in serious flooding. In the event of flooding due to heavy rainfall that may be caused by a blockage of the storm drainage system, call the Engineering Division at (909) 394-6240, Monday through Thursday from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm and Friday 8 am to 5 pm. If you are calling during non-business hours please feel free to leave a message and someone will get back to you as soon as possible. Life-threatening flood emergencies should be reported by calling 911. Primarily, your responsibility is to help to eliminate the amount of debris deposited in our storm drains that can cause flooding. Waste allowed to accumulate in storm drains can also pollute adjacent areas and subsequently, beaches downstream.

How do I report a dead animal in the roadway?

Contact the Inland Valley Humane Society at (909) 623-9777.

Who should I contact to report an alley that needs maintenance?

Alleys open to public passage are maintained on a periodic basis by the Streets Maintenance Division. Alleys in need of maintenance may be reported to the Public Works Department (909) 394-6240.

Where may I take used motor oil for recycling?

San Dimas residents can take used oil and filters to Certified Tire and Service Center (also called Good Year) at 100 W. Bonita Ave (951) 369-0025. Otherwise, residents may take used motor oil to any Los Angeles County Household Hazardous Waste Roundup Event. Schedule and locations can be found at

My catch basin is smelly, what can I do?

Please, do not allow yard clippings, leaves, oil, or any other debris to reach the catch basin. Contact the Streets Maintenance Supervisor at (909) 394-6270 to report an obstructed or smelly catch basin. Please give the exact location of the catch basin, as well as your name and phone number so that we may reach you if more information is needed. For more information, you may call (909) 394-6240.

Is my property in a flood zone area?

The City provides information regarding floodplains and flood zones. The Federal Emergency Management Agencies Flood Insurance Rate Maps are available for your review at the Public Works section at City Hall. If you need assistance in determining whether a property within the City lies in a Special Flood Hazard Area, you may contact the Engineering Department at (909) 394-6240. Please be ready to provide the address of the location for which you'd like flood zone information.

How can I dispose of used tires?

Information regarding used tires, including locations of tire recycling facilities in Los Angeles County and other facts about tires, can be found on Los Angeles County's Waste Tire Recycling Program website by clicking the link below. For more information, you may also call (909) 394-6240.

Who should I contact to report a streetlight that isn't working?

There are several ways to report a broken street light. You can click on the Edison link here, Southern California Edison which will direct you to Edison’s Online Request Form’s page. On this page, you will notice a link to their Report Street Light Outage form. Fill in the requested information and Edison will notify you when the work is complete. If you prefer to call Edison directly, please contact them at (800) 655-4555. The automated phone system’s prompts will have you press 1 (“hazards,” “power outages,” or “repairs”) which will then transfer you to an Edison representative. The final way to report a broken street light is to please contact the Public Works Department directly at (909) 394-6240, or via email:

Who is responsible for maintaining the parkway in front of my home?

Property owners are responsible for maintaining parkways directly adjacent to their homes and businesses. To report damaged parkways, contact the Public Works Department at (909) 394-6240

I have a raised sidewalk in front of my house, how can I get it repaired?

Contact the Streets Maintenance Supervisor at (909) 394-6270. Please leave your phone and the exact location of the sidewalk in need of repair, and it will be added to our repair schedule.

How often is my street scheduled to be swept?

The Street Maintenance Division of the Public Works Department is responsible for sweeping streets. You can assist the City in providing good maintenance by ensuring that your vehicles are parked in your driveway, trash cans are off the street, and all other obstructions are removed so that the street sweeper is able to provide the best service possible. Our objective is to sweep arterials, collectors, and bike lanes monthly, and residential streets twice monthly. We also sweep sand and debris from arterials, collectors, and bike lanes after every major rain storm. Sweepers also respond to special requests for immediate pickup of debris creating traffic problems, such as broken glass. In addition to helping keep the city clean, sweeping reduces health hazards by ensuring trash doesn't accumulate and become a harborage for insects and rodents. For additional information, please call the City Yard at (909) 394-6270 between 6 am and 4 pm, Monday through Friday.

How do I report graffiti on public property?

Call the Graffiti Hotline at (909) 542-2500. Please give a detailed description of the location, including the nearest cross streets if possible. If the graffiti is located on private property, it is the property owner's responsibility to remove or paint over the graffiti. For more information, you may call (909) 394-6240.

How do I report a problem with a Traffic Signal?

The Engineering Division has a Traffic Safety Committee responsible for the maintenance of over 33 signalized intersections within the city limits 24 hours a day. Call 394-6240, Monday through Thursday between 7:30 am and 5 pm and Friday 8 am to 5 pm to report any signal malfunctions. After hours call the Sheriff's Station at (909) 450-2700.

How do I arrange for the collection of large or bulky items that won't fit in my trash can?

For bulky item pick-up, including furniture, white goods (i.e. refrigerators)and "E-Waste", contact Waste Management at (800) 266-7551 for instructions and information. E-Waste is defined as electronic waste (such as a computer, monitor, TV, microwave oven, cell phone, etc). For additional information on E-Waste and other Household Hazardous disposal events, please visit the link below for the current regional schedule. For more information, you may call (909) 394-6240.

How can I report a pothole in my street?

All potholes are repaired by the Streets Maintenance Division. Please contact the Streets Maintenance Supervisor at (909) 394-6270 and leave your name and phone number, along with an exact location of the pothole, and an address, if possible.