Business License & Related Permits



909.850.4362 Out of Town Businesses: Call 909.850.4362 to apply City of San Dimas Business Support Center
TO APPLY ONLINE: For more information 
See Business license Flyer Below
8839 N. Cedar Ave. #212, Fresno, CA, 93720 English / Spanish  
To search for an active Business License visit 

The City of San Dimas has contracted with HDL companies to process business licenses. 
For more detailed information contact the business support center at 909.850.4362

The following information is provided to assist persons interested in establishing and conducting business in the City of San Dimas. It is not warranted to be all-inclusive. Any errors or omissions herein will not relieve the business owner of his/her responsibility, obligation, or liability in fulfilling all legal requirements.

What is a business license, and who needs one?

A business license is an annual tax required by all businesses doing business within the City of San Dimas. Anyone who operates a business or performs a service within the City of San Dimas is required to apply for and retain a business license, including home occupations and businesses located outside of San Dimas. It must be obtained before any business, profession, trade, or occupation is conducted.

Determine a business name

If the name you choose for your business is anything other than your legal surname, California state law requires you to file a fictitious name statement to ensure that the public knows with whom they are conducting business. For detailed information about determining a business name, visit the Los Angeles County Clerk’s Office website here Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder.

Determine the business site location.

Every business must meet the City’s zoning requirements to ensure that the business activity is allowed at the proposed location. Contact the Planning Department at (909) 394-6250 before signing any leases, agreements, or moving in for specific zoning requirements and limitations. If your business is not permitted in the zoning district you have chosen, planners can advise you of the proper zoning district(s) for your business.

Apply for your Business License & obtaining Home Occupation or Cottage Food Permits

After discussing with the Planning Department if your business would be  zoned for the proposed location and when the proper permits have been obtained, you may apply for a business license through HDL companies.  You may contact the business center at 909.850.4362 for more information regarding applying for a business license. 

You may apply online at , you may Email Applications  or lastly  could mail applications to  

City of San Dimas Business Support Center
8839 N. Cedar Ave. #212,
Fresno, CA, 93720

Below is a link to the application  
For out of town contractors it is recommended to apply by phone at 909.850.4362

Home Occupation and/or Cottage Food Permits are required for businesses conducted from a residence. Applications for a Home Occupation permit must be submitted along with the standard business license application form to HDL. When applying online HDL will contact you to complete the additional permit applications. 

Stormwater Discharge Compliance SB-205

What is SB-205?

SB-205 was passed October 2, 2019, and requires that starting January 1, 2020, all industrial users that are regulated by the State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) General Industrial NPDES Permit provide the City with the primary SIC Code of the business, and the WDID, NEC, or NONA number as proof of coverage under the General Industrial NPDES Permit when applying for a City business tax certificate or a business tax certificate renewal.

To assist you in determining if your business is subject to the General Industrial NPDES Permit, please click the PDF below, which provides answers to some Frequently Asked Questions and a list of the Standard Industrial Codes that the SWRCB uses to identify facilities subject to the General Industrial NPDES Permit.

Read more about SB-205 HERE.

SB205 Form

Need other permits or licenses required by state or federal government for your business?

The state and federal governments have additional requirements for businesses. Certain businesses are required to obtain permits from the Department of Consumer Affairs and/or state and local environmental agencies.

For detailed information regarding your type of business, visit CalGold Business Permits Made Simple Website.

State Fee for Construction-Related Accessibility

On September 19, 2012, Governor Brown signed into law SB-1186 which adds a state fee on any applicant for a local business license or similar instrument or permit, or renewal thereof. The purpose is to increase disability access and compliance with construction-related accessibility requirements and to develop educational resources for businesses to facilitate compliance with federal and state disability laws, as specified.

On October 11, 2017, Governor Brown signed into law AB1379 to extend the state fee (SB1186, Chapter 383, Statues of 2012) indefinitely. On and after January 1, 2018, and until December 31, 2023, increasing the amount from $1 to $4; reverts the fee to $1 on and after January 1, 2024.

Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies:

The Division of the State Architect at
The Department of Rehabilitation at
The California Commission on Disability Access at

The translated model notices required by Assembly Bill 3002 (Chapter 680, Statutes of 2018) are available online in Spanish, Tagalog, Korean, Vietnamese, Traditional Chinese, and Simplified Chinese. The notice provides information cited in Government Code Section 4469 and includes information required by Government Code Section 4469.5.