Select Page

Business License Application and Related Permits

The following information is provided to assist persons interested in establishing and conducting business in the City of San Dimas. It is not warranted to be all-inclusive. Any errors or omissions herein will not relieve the business owner of his/her responsibility, obligation or liability in fulfilling all legal requirements.


What is a business license?

A business license is an annual tax required by all businesses doing business within the City of San Dimas, and it must be obtained before any business, profession, trade, or occupation is conducted. A business license application and payment of the license tax is required of all business operating in the City. This includes home occupations and business locations outside of San Dimas that periodically conduct business in the City.


Who needs a business license?

Anyone who operates a business or performs a service within the City of San Dimas is required to apply for and retain a business license (a.k.a., business tax certificate) unless exempted by the IRS.

Most businesses will also require special permits and authorization before the issuance of the business license. These permits and procedures are explained in the following steps for starting a business in San Dimas.


Apply for your business license

After you have obtained the required permits and have received the appropriate approval for your business location, you can apply for a business license. Applications can be obtained in person at City Hall or by calling (909) 394-6222. Click below for a printable PDF version of the application.

Get a Business License Application

If you are a state licensed contractor, you will also need a Worker’s Compensation Declaration Form.

Get a Worker’s Compensation Declaration Form

To calculate the amount of your business tax, click below for a printable PDF version of our rate schedule.

Business License Fees


Determine a business name

If the name you choose for your business is anything other than your legal surname, California state law requires you to file a fictitious name statement to ensure that the public knows with whom they are conducting business. For detailed information about determining a business name, visit the Los Angeles County Clerk’s Office website at L.A. Vote.


Determine the business site location and obtain the required permits

Every business must meet the City’s zoning requirements to ensure that the business activity is allowed at the proposed location. Contact the Planning Department at (909) 394-6250 before signing any leases, agreements, or moving in for specific zoning requirements and limitations. If your business is not permitted in the zoning district you have chosen, planners can advise you of the proper zoning district(s) for your business.

Businesses operating under specific Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) codes (those between 0211 and 5171) must obtain coverage under the State Water Resource Control Board’s (SWRCB) General Industrial Stormwater Permit No. NPDES CAS000001. For more information, contact the Public Works Department at (909) 394-6244 or visit the SWRCB website regarding the specific requirements.

Home Occupation Permits are required for businesses conducted from a residence. Applications for such a permit can be obtained by clicking below to download a PDF version of the form. All applications are reviewed by the Planning Department.

Get a Home Business Permit Application

Cottage Food Operation Application


Obtain any permits or licenses required by state or federal government for your business

The state and federal governments have additional requirements for businesses. Certain businesses are required to obtain permits from the Department of Consumer Affairs and/or state and local environmental agencies. For detailed information regarding your type of business, visit the CalGold Business Permits Made Simple website.


Stormwater Discharge Compliance SB-205

What is SB-205?

SB-205 was passed October 2, 2019 and requires that starting January 1, 2020, all industrial users that are regulated by the State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) General Industrial NPDES Permit provide the City with the primary SIC Code of the business, and the WDID, NEC, or NONA number as proof of coverage under the General Industrial NPDES Permit when applying for a City business tax certificate or a business tax certificate renewal.

To assist you in determining if your business is subject to the General Industrial NPDES Permit, please click the PDF below, which provides answers to some Frequently Asked Questions and a list of the Standard Industrial Codes that the SWRCB uses to identify facilities subject to the General Industrial NPDES Permit.

Read more about SB-205 HERE.


State Fee for Construction-Related Accessibility

On September 19, 2012, Governor Brown signed into law SB-1186 which adds a state fee on any applicant for a local business license or similar instrument or permit, or renewal thereof. The purpose is to increase disability access and compliance with construction-related accessibility requirements and to develop educational resources for businesses to facilitate compliance with federal and state disability laws, as specified.

On October 11, 2017, Governor Brown signed into law AB1379 to extend the state fee (SB1186, Chapter 383, Statues of 2012) indefinitely. On and after January 1, 2018, and until December 31, 2023, increasing the amount from $1 to $4; reverts the fee to $1 on and after January 1, 2024.

Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies:

For more information regarding business license in the City of San Dimas, contact the licensing division at (909) 394-6222.

The translated model notices required by Assembly Bill 3002 (Chapter 680, Statutes of 2018)are available online in Spanish, Tagalog, Korean, Vietnamese, Traditional Chinese, and Simplified Chinese. The notice provides information cited in Government Code Section 4469 and includes information required by Government Code Section 4469.5.

AB 3002 Business License, Building Permit Model Notice webpage